What is Rotary?
Rotary International is an association of Rotary clubs worldwide. It’s made up of more than 33,000 Rotary clubs in over 200 countries. The members of these autonomous clubs are called Rotarians, and they form a global network of 1.2 million business and professional men and women, all volunteering their time and talents to serve their communities and the world.
What are the qualifications for membership?
Prospective members must
- Hold (or be retired from) a professional, proprietary, executive, managerial, or community position.
- Have demonstrated a commitment to service through personal involvement.
- Be able to meet the club’s weekly attendance or community project participation requirements.
- Live or work within the vicinity of the club or surrounding area
What are the responsibilities of membership?
Rotary Clubs meet weekly and members are expected to attend regularly to meet attendance requirements, which are flexible and designed to meet the needs of busy people.
Members pay an annual membership fee to their club. Members are expected to participate in local or international Rotary club activities or projects. Clubs encourage its members to aspire to club leadership and committee roles.
What are the attendance requirements?
An attendance record of 50 percent is required to remain an active Rotarian. Any missed meeting must be made up within 14 days before or after the regular meeting. To accommodate busy schedules, there are various opportunities to make up missed meetings. For example, participation in designated Rotary activities can count as make-ups.
What is the minimum age to be in Rotary?
There is no minimum age to join Rotary. You may be invited to join at any age after you have become established in a career and have the time and financial resources to meet all Rotary club membership requirements.
If you are interested in joining a Rotary club, inquire amongst the members about the time and financial commitments necessary to fulfill membership requirements, and consider whether you can meet those commitments.
Is there a way for high school students to get involved?
Yes. INTERACT is a Rotary-sponsored service club for those ages 12 to 18. Interact clubs give young people an opportunity to participate in fun, meaningful service projects while developing leadership skills and meeting new friends.
Eleven reasons to join.
- FELLOWSHIP: Rotary provides one of the most basic human needs, the need for friendship and fellowship.
- BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT: Everyone needs to network. Rotarians of every business sector and vocation help each other and collectively help others.
- LEADERSHIP EDUCATION: Rotary is an organisation of leaders and successful people who happily mentor, motivate and influence aspiring leaders.
- CONTINUING EDUCATION: Each weekly meeting provides an opportunity to listen to different expert speakers on a variety of timely topics.
- FUN: Our meetings,club projects and our social activities are fun.
- ASSISTANCE WHEN TRAVELLING: Because there are Rotary clubs everywhere, many Rotarians in need of a job, doctor, lawyer, hotel, dentist, advice, etc., while traveling have found assistance through Rotary.
- PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT: Every week and at various events and functions, Rotary helps to develop an individual’s personality, social skills and public speaking skills. Rotary is for people who like people.
- YOUTH EXCHANGE PROGRAMS: Rotary provides one of the world’s largest international youth exchange and youth leadership training programs.
- THE DEVELOPMENT OF ETHICS: Rotarians are required to be ethical in their business and personal relationships.
- CULTURAL AWARENESS: Rotary is a cross section of prominent citizens from practically every country, religion, culture, political persuasion, language, and ethnic identity who learn to work with people everywhere becoming better citizens of their countries in the process.
- THE OPPORTUNITY TO SERVE: The chance to do something for somebody else and experience the self-fulfillment that comes in the process is richly rewarding.
Who are Rotarians?
Rotarians are people like you and I. Traditionally they are or have been persons in positions of leadership in their respective businesses. We at The Rotary Club of Croydon strive to have a club made up of people in our community who want to make a difference. Do you want to make a difference?
What Rotary isn’t.
Rotary isn’t a religious, political, or nationalistic organisation. It does not interfere with the members’ religious, political, or other beliefs. Membership is open to all members of the community. Rotary members are a bunch of like-minded people, united in their desire to make a difference in their community and the world.
What things are Rotary Clubs involved in?
The Rotary Club of Croydon is involved in a number of projects – covering the Five Avenues of Service (Club, Vocational, Community, International and New Generations (Youth)). All members are assigned to one of these Committees.
VISITORS TO ROTARY MEETINGS ARE WELCOME.
What is the cost of attending Rotary meetings?
Our Rotary Club meets on Tuesday evenings at the Dorset Gardens Hotel here in Croydon. During the meeting we have a two course meal which costs $25.
What are the Objectives of Rotary?
The object of Rotary is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:
- FIRST The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service.
- SECOND High ethical standards in business and professions; the recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations; and the dignifying by each Rotarian of their occupation as an opportunity to serve society.
- THIRD The application of the ideal of service by every Rotarian to their personal, business and community life.
- FOURTH The advancement of international understanding, goodwill and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional people united in the ideal of service.
Does Rotary have a Motto?
Yes – it is “Service Above Self.”
The 4-Way Test
The 4-Way Test is a test for Rotarians in the way they think, say or do:
- Is it the TRUTH?
- Is it FAIR to all concerned?
- Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
- Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
Why does Rotary use Business Classifications?
Rotary uses a classification system in an attempt to establish and maintain a vibrant cross-section or representation of the community’s business, vocational, and professional interests among members.
A classification describes either the principal business or the professional service of the organisation that the Rotarian works for or the Rotarian’s own activity within the organisation. The Club can also appoint “Honorary Members” at the Board’s discretion.
Where is the Head Office of Rotary?
Rotary International is an international organization with its Headquarters in Evanston, Illinois (Chicago), USA.
We invite your enquiry.
Rotary Membership is stimulating and fulfilling. The Rotary Club of Croydon invites interested men and women to enquire about joining them in their commitment to ‘service above self’ in the local community as well as for the worldwide humanitarian programs of Rotary International.